I've been Grilled

Wednesday, May 11, 2016


Like many, I am a product of a horrific, tragic war - World War II.  

At the end of the war, my mom was a young Austrian girl living just outside of Salzburg under the Untersberg Mountain.  The American liberators occupied the area and in some instances they did not have places to live.  So they paid the Austrians so they could live temporarily in their homes. It was a good deal for both sides.  Four Americans moved into my mother’s home!

You have probably already guessed that my mom fell in love with one of them (even though her parents had sternly warned her and her sister to stay away from the soldiers.)  After the war, instead of going home, my father stayed in Austria and joined the United Nations Rehabilitation Organization.  

He married my mom. Then, I was born.  When his stay was over, the three of us came to live in the United States.

This is a very brief summary of a much more detailed, involved and to me fascinating story.  Would I be here if not for that war – NO.   So I like to think that maybe something good came out of it all.  

I also know that as a product of such evil and devastation, I have a duty and hopefully desire to better the lives of others.

Thank you to all the military Americans who have gone into foreign countries and fought for causes that are much bigger than themselves. 

I would like to thank all of our U.S. servicemen for all the sacrifices they have bestowed on us.
The Untersberg

No comments: